Our 10 proudest moments from 2017
As we near the end of 2017, we are looking back at an amazing year for Contemporaneous. We are immeasurably grateful to you, our audience, for your generous support of our programs. We want to celebrate just a few of our proudest moments that we achieved with you:
- We performed 24 world premieres of new works written specifically for our ensemble. See and hear a few of the pieces that we commissioned with your support!
- In our educational programs throughout the year, we worked with 47 student composers from high school to graduate school.
- We launched Contemporaneous Imagination this year, through which we have opened dialogues with composers and artists from all over the world who have proposed their wildest, most unwieldy, impossible ideas to Contemporaneous. We will begin presenting some of the work that we have discovered through this program in 2018.
- In what must have been the most beautiful day of the summer, we played two shows on Governor's Island, a gorgeous park in New York Harbor. Check out the highlights reel!
- We premiered a symphonic theater work about climate change at the Philadelphia Fringe Festival in performances for over 3,000 people. We worked together with Pig Iron Theater for over a year to create the piece.
- In October, we launched our year-long residency at National Sawdust, a stellar venue that is making waves in our community.
- In the last month, we have started recording a podcast, which we will be releasing in the spring of 2018. We can't wait to share it with you!
- We performed with Iarla Ó Lionáird for the first time. Stay tuned for recordings from our show with this incredible Irish vocalist.
- We gained funding from New York State for the first time!
- We expanded our administrative staff to three employees, building our capacity for a very bright future.
Thank you so much for your support, and we can't wait to share another year in music with you!